Sunday, August 31, 2008

My first Weekend!

I'm uploading the photos from my first weekend onto facebook right now!!! I haven't quite figured out how to do that here, but I will very soon!
The bus tour was amazing- I'm so glad I went. It brought me alot of insight as to the structure of the city and where everything is in relation to me. I found out that all of the awesome Heuringers are in my district! A heuringer is an outdoor beergarden type thing where the restaurants have a few choice dishes and a wide array of local wines. They're very special to the area. We drove through the 19th district and into the Wienerwald-Vienese forest. We learned about Eugene of Savoy and the Turkish invasion and about how cool Poland is....and then before I knew it we were overlooking the city. I took pictures, but ehy don't do any justice to the real view. We headed back down into the city where we saw more of the Ringstrasse; then we were off to the Hundertwasser Haus (which was really neat-except I saw a scarf and a schnitzle for a good deal, so i got side-tracked! Don't worry, I knew I would go back anyhow...15 minutes wasn't going to do any justice anyhow. The schitzle was good, no regrets here). Then we made our way to the Belvedere, where I saw Bruckner's old apartment and stood in the lobby where all of the Kilmts are!!! We didn't go into the palace because we only had 15 minutes to get around the place. This city is ridiculously photogenic. Pictures to come. Before I knew it, the tour was over. Jacy, Julia and I went to the Mozart cafe and had some overpriced coffee and enjoyed a fantastic view. We went to a museum for 3.50 Euro and saw Klimt's Beethoven IX friese, which was incredible, although the other exhibits in the museum were severely disappointing. Shock value does not necessarily make it art. Thanks for the dead people pictures, jerk named Thomas something!!! Anyhow...the Klimt was inspiring. Worth 3.50!!!! We headed through the Nachtmarket (which can be roughly translated to munchies-market) where we perused the fruitstands and cheese stands and the like as they closed up. I can't wait to go when it's open!!! We walked to Mariahilfestrasse-the big shopping street in Wien, and picked up some flip flops for Julia (everybody has been having serious feet issues as a result of the walking). THEN we headed back to the apartment and had a fun night with their roomates. We played SPOONS! Then I headed back home on the U-Bahn; some guy totally threw up on the tram, not like it ruined my day, but it was sick!
OKAY, so TODAY....
I woke up at like 8:30 or something and tried to see if my cafe would take a poor studentin without a laptop battery, but there was no room. I don't have my phone so I just sneak-attacked the 6th district to go see Jacy and Julia and wander by their cafe; but, alas they were busy, too. So I carried my laptop all over the city, yuck. We put together some lunches and enjoyed a picnic in the park; then we went to the butterfly sanctuary, where I took WAY too many photos of butterflies. But it was gorgeous. The plan was to then go see Schubert's childhood home; but we kinda weren't going to make it on time (his house is near mine!) So we decided to go up to Grinzig and have dinner at a Heuringer! It was so fantastic, I knew it would be, because people didn't speak a lot of English (frustrating for my ordering skills, but great for my stomach). I tried the Heuringer Wiess wien-white wine, and this crazy pork and potatoes dish, which was SO GOOD, home-cooking-worthy! Jacy Julia and I saw everybody drinking this lemonade looking stuff, and I wondered what all the fuss was about, so I ordered one for myself. It was Sturm, which is the cloudy undistilled wine, when it's still sweet. Sturm is SO GOOD! I'm really glad I tried it! Even better was that the meal cost me 10 Euro, which really wasn't anything when I considered how much I got.
So that was my weekend, thanks for reading! I hope you get the chance to see the photos!!!
Tchuss!!!! :)

2 comments:

Jon B said...

I am SOOO jealous right now.

Your blogs and photos remind me so much of how I felt when I first got to Paris.

Savor every moment...such a unique experience...

Love you!

John said...

You only have to upload your photos once. There's a link you can copy at the bottom of your facebook albums that you can paste here and will allow everyone access to your pictures.

And yes, jealousy abounds.