For the amount of time I spend online you would think I would get around to this more often...
So my last post was the 17th, it is now the 30th.
Since then I have become a regular of the Christmas markets, which are just awesome. They have these outrageous potatoes there, which are about the weight of a small baby. The best are with garlic sauce, ham (I know, I eat ham now!) and cheese. Bring a friend to eat it with.
I went to the Kunsteleraum (sp?) and saw their Braque exhibit, which I wasn't expecting to enjoy so much. The textures are unreal, so much more interesting than anything a book or printed picture can tell you!
The next morning I had a trip to the Secession building (trip 3 or 4, I'm like a regular now) where my Mahler class analyzed the Friese and talked about the Secession movement in depth. Dr. Solvik pointed out some really fascinating things about the structure of the mural and about Klimt's choices of shapes and figures. Lots more phallic then you would originally think...it was a great trip
I think this was the week I also went to Karlskirche; this was awesome because all of the scaffolding is still up, and they're finishing the first ever restoration. So we got to go up and see the dome up close and even get to the top and overlook the city. Kaiser Charles built for St. Charles who was the saint of plague-stopping (that wording was not graceful...) when the plague seized the Kaiser erected this Church, which at the time was visible from his palace. This wording is just getting worse as I go along....haha
Anyways.
There is a placard that reads "I have kept my promise," coats of arms and depictions of the Godfather which are all uncommon in the Viennese churches. There is even an angel throwing Martin Luther to hell. Like I said, many uncommon things...
I met Bernadette on Saturday for our language meeting, where I had lunch with her family. It was the best visit ever, it had been three weeks and my German got a lot better. Her parents were surprised. :) I also brought Bernadette some gum Dad sent from CA and she was totally thrilled; on December 14th I'm going to go watch her ride her horse in a Christmas show. I'm totally excited! Their family gave me this sweet scarf when I left, it's orange and black and looks like tiger stripes which was really perfect. Soo much fun!
Jacy was playing tour guide for her friend Reed from home, and it was great cause it got us all out of the house and exploring Vienna again. We went to the Musikverein and saw the French National Orchestra play a Beethoven Piano Sonata and an early Bruckner symphony. I didn't realize what a difference there were between symphonies until this concert. They have a more precise but less emotional sound. Still great, but I think I like the German/Viennese/American styles better. Also, the cellist winked at me and kept making eyes at me, so that just made my night a little bit-haha
Went to the Mozarthaus and hung out in his apartment, which was sweet. I guess he was really noisy and rowdy, had lots of dogs and games going on all the time. The best part was this clock that was specially commissioned by a patron of Mozart, the tune it plays was written especially for this one clock and even has a K catalogue number. Pretty cool
Went to the Belvedere again last Wednesday and learned some great facts about the origins of the name and about Prince Eugene (owner of the Belvedere). We also learned that Klimt was a little bit of a perve and Schile was a little clairvoyant. We also went into the room where the contract to disband the four power occupation was signed.
I also went to the Leopold with my Mahler class and saw more Klimts and Secessionists, but I'll save that for next post. I'm way tired. So I'll update on thanksgiving next time.
Tchuss!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment