Thursday, May 14, 2009

Abschieden und Auf Wiedersehen(s)

Kristina's visit was really wonderful, and came at a really great time. I am pretty much finished with school, although I have chosen to continue my teaching internship until the 11th hour.
Dr. Solvik had all the students over for a dinner/potluck last night which was very nice of him, it's also "the end of a chapter" for him, since his new appointment as Director of IES Vienna will not allow him to continue teaching so many classes. I felt really lucky to have taken his courses these 2 semesters.
Nathan and I made dinner for my Music Workshop coach, Ulrike, which was really nice. It's wonderful that I can have a respectful relationship with a professor that can also be causal enough that they can accept a dinner invitation.
Our Concert last Thursday went really well
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUF7boTSi94
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFvOr1NU7X4

Those are two movements from the Brahms Trio, the balance is a little off in the recording but overall I was really happy and so was Franz! :)

I took a lesson with Franz today and we worked some more on the Strauss II, I also taught two lessons at the Gymnasium, one about Proposition 8 and same sex marriage/civil unions in the United States and the other was about the difference in High School Graduation versus the Matura/Gymnasium. Both were rather successful.

It's so hard to know what to say, because my stay here has been so much more than a trip. Everytime I see my friends here I wonder if it'll be the last time and it makes me so sad. I don't know exactly what I have learned yet and I don't think I will know until I get home. There are so many conflicting feelings; there is so much I could still see and do. I miss my family but I am scared that the doors won't be back open for me here if I wanted that connection (Which I have possibly found a solution to, as I have talked to Dr. Solvik about the organization of a stronger alumni association where the program can keep tabs on their "graduates" and provide an "in" for those looking for a way back). Although I have found myself bursting into tears, I still can't comprehend going to the airport and actually leaving my apartment and turning in my keys. I've become so comfortable and my German has come so far.

I'm rambling now, but I'm at a loss of exactly what to say, other than my finals are pretty much all finished and now it's time to take in the last few days.

Nathan bought me a ticket to go see Ann Sophie Mutter with him this weekend, and then we're doing Wagner the next night...I'm very excited :)

Still making arrangements to meet with the Fina's for the last time, and I'm going to have one more lesson with Franz and I also need to call my brass coach, Bill McElheney to meet for coffee....TOO MANY GOODBYES!

And tonight I'm meeting Katie and company for a birthday/goodbye dinner. So so sad.

No comments: