Monday, October 27, 2008

Dudamel is my new boyfriend



Pictured above: My completed and successful batch of French Onion Soup, The Hundertwasser Fernhaus Wien- a crazy building I pass on the way to school, and a photo of the EIGHT SAI girls here studying at IES, and we're not all from the same school either. Please ignore how awkward I am in this photo.


The last two weeks have been completely crazy-since it's midterms/concert season!
On Oct 21st my Modern Art class had free tickets to the Albertina, which was really fantastic...because I got to see the Van Gogh and downstairs exhibits all over again, although it was much more crowded this time. That was the prep for our Midterm, so I pretty much walked around and drew little sketches of the paintings.
On Thursday I had the Modern Art exam, which I think went alright. It was a little intense, it involved 15 slides from the semester and we had to write down the artist and date. Then we had to use examples to argue whether form or color was the more supreme component of art. I picked form.
My weekend had a hole punched in it due to the fact we had a Saturday morning German midterm! However; I DID get to see DUDAMEL conduct Beethoven 2 and then Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique!!! I haven't been so excited at a concert for YEARS. The Beethoven was all right, but the horns were for sure having a rough time, like I would consider firing them. However, all was redeemed in the Berlioz when two FEMALE horn players came in and sat first and third. They were GREAT and I didn't think I'd get to see professional women playing horn here, so it was pretty much the greatest!!! Dudamel was completely captivating, I wanted to climb onstage and play. That is why I am a musician. Thank you for reminding me. It was such an amazing performance that the audience demanded 2 encores, and I have to say they were WELL deserved. I think the first was something by Elgar, it was so moving by the end that nobody dared to clap and ruin the silence.
THEN!!!!
Out of nowhere comes the best moment of my symphony experience to date!!!
He followed this up with this FANTASTIC samba number, it was AMAZING, the brass had a choreographed dance and the trombones, trumpets and Tubas got up and took off their jackets and swung them around and were totally shaking it. I was in shock, I wanted to scream I was so overjoyed, plus it was all so tight and well done. Not kitch, not square, COMPLETELY legit. It was just amazing. I could have stayed all day, I can't even believe it happened. I wanted to cry I was so happy, it was the most exciting thing I've EVER seen in the concert hall!!!!! I love Dudamel.
I hung out with Jacy and the rest of 1812 and we went back to Sieben Stern, then headed home. Sunday provided nothing to report, and I had my Mahler midterm this morning, which I think I totally owned. I just went out for a sandwich and a chocolate croissant and it only cost me 4 Euro at this awesome place called Wolfbauer. You should come, we'll get a schnitzel.
So yeah, I'm basically in love with Dudamel and I'm overjoyed that he's going to be directing the LA phil next year.
The end.
Tchuss!

No comments: